It looks as though today is going to be one of those days where every story I read gets me riled up. I am a super emotional person, and it takes serious work sometimes for me to tamper my emotions for some of these posts. Some days, like today, I just want to scream, “WHAT the f*&k is WRONG with everyone!?? Some things I really don’t understand, and I would really really like to understand. So here are five reasons for my frustration today:
1. This one is on me. I am unhappy with yesterday’s post. I want to rewrite it. I managed to leave out a huge part of the story. It’s a problem with how I go about writing these things. While I don’t keep a hard and fast posting schedule – I do post between 6 and 9am (EST) mostly everyday. I also, don’t write these before hand. I wake up, read the news, have my coffee and sit here and write about whatever is most dominant in my mind. These posts are kind of my own personal therapy that I try to make meaningful for others. The problem with that is sometimes I don’t quite think things through. Yesterday was a perfect example of that. So anyway, look for a revision of “My Jewish Girlfriend” at some point in the future. I seriously hate it when I manage to miss my own point! Sometimes, writing is hard.
2. Have you seen this little gem? Parents put 16 year old daughter up for adoption after learning she is gay Seriously people??? This was in South Carolina. This 16 year old is now legally up for adoption. Her parents, along with their church sincerely believe that this is the best they could do for their daughter (they prayed about it and all). They want her to be adopted by a “gay friendly” family.
THIS is my problem with religion. Not God. Religion. These people are just plain nuts. They are bad parents, and bad people using GOD to justify their despicable actions. What frightens me most is that many people are seeing this as an EXAMPLE. Don’t like who your kid has turned out to be? Put them up for adoption! Yeah. That makes sense. I swear, if I was in ANY financial position to do so, I would have a 16 year old daughter right now.
UPDATE: Since I posted this part of my rant – I have been corrected:
AH HA! The adoption story is fake. That pleases me. I usually don’t get caught up in fake stories because I try to check them before re-posting – but I was over zealous. Here are some resources that point to this just being fake.
I have never been so happy to be wrong. I am wrong here, but the fact that many religious parents “disown” or kick out thier gay children is a sad reality – so my rant still stands, just not with this particular incident.
3. Mitch McConnell is upset because his “strategy” team got caught being assholes: Secret tape: Mitch McConnell aides discuss Ashley Judd. Instead of saying, “Oh crap, we got caught being assholes”, they are demanding a taxpayer funded FBI investigation to find out who is ‘bugging’ their war room. Maybe Mitch, it is someone from your own camp who is sick of your crap. Maybe.
What amazes me is Americans who are completely derailed by his temper tantrum and NOT the content of the recording. They were fully intending to use the fact that Ashley Judd struggled with depression and flirted with suicide when she was IN SIXTH GRADE as a political attack. I am really bummed that she decided not to run because I think she would have gave him a run for his money (no pun intended). I sincerely hope that we can find someone to run against him that has a chance of winning. This punk needs to go – along with every other sitting Tea Party Republican in office right now. 2014 can’t get here soon enough.
4. The attempted resurrection of anti-sodomy laws and other intrusive, perfectly meaningless and unenforceable laws. Here is a handy list of current and repealed Sodomy laws ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court, and the States that still have these laws on the books. Sodomy Laws in the U.S. It’s a scary list.
So good people. None of you of course have ever had oral or anal sex? I know I haven’t. Even if I had, I wouldn’t admit it. I could get arrested. Legislating the actions between two consenting adults (even those who are married – man and woman kind of married) is useless. It can’t reliably be prosecuted, and really, why do we need to even address it? Don’t agree with blow jobs? Don’t get one. Lots and lots of men really like them though and they aren’t going to stop getting them because it offends your personal moral outrage. There is even a day for men – Steak and a Blow-Job Day! Go arrest every fan of Steak and BJ day because we KNOW they are getting some oral sex from someone! OH THE HUMANITY!
5. Finally, the battle for minimum wage increases. We have become a ridiculous country. Tired of people collecting food stamps? Pay them a living wage. Tired of people on federal or state health care? Pay them a living wage. Tired of our economy and jobs stagnating? Pay people a living wage so they can spend money in the economy. Want people to buy U.S. products? Pay people enough to buy them. Want people to take care of their children? Pay them enough to raise them. Want people to stop stealing from others? Pay them enough to buy their own iPad. I really don’t understand why this is a difficult argument.
We have SO MUCH MONEY in our country (and I have none of it) but seriously, these businesses like Wal-Mart make money hand over fist and yet they give their employees briefings on applying for State and Federal aid. The same people demanding cuts to welfare, are the very same people who teach their employees how to get it, and pay them so little that they qualify for it. We should be outraged. I know I am.
So there it is. The five things that are driving me a little crazy this morning.